It doesn't take much for life to spiral into chaos - from simple deadlines and day-to-day requirements to the overwhelming unknowns and unimaginables. To say anxiety is along for the ride would be an understatement; anxiety is most often the one driving. But because Christ is our only guaranteed constant in life, He is our ever-present comfort in life. Therefore, comfort is found in our creator, not our circumstances.
So how do we tap into this incredible truth among the chaos?
- Through a renewed understanding of His promises
- Through a refreshed remembrance of His peace
In the moments of bone crippling anxiety, impossible unknowns and the minuscule day-to-day commitments, know this: we are praying that God steals your heart back (a renewed understanding of His promises) and that God stills your heart (a refreshed remembrance of His peace.)
“But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” [Jeremiah 17:7-8]
How do we trust in God and His promises? The answer lies in verse 8: "...be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.”
- Be planted. Commit to the long haul of putting your roots down and standing firm in Christ through all seasons of life.
- Send out your roots by the stream. Initiate the step of positioning yourself in the ultimate stream of life: God's word.
The beauty of these two steps lived out means confidently saying, "I see the heat (anxiety) coming, I see the drought (chaos) coming but I'm confident because I'm rooted (God's word).
“You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is steadfast on You, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for in Yah, the Lord, is everlasting strength.” [Isaiah 26:3-4]
So how do we practically keep our minds steadfast on His peace? It revolves around a single word: daily.
- First thing first: God’s word. Start everyday with the Bible. This shouldn’t feel like another box to check but rather a refueling and realigning going into your day. A simple verse, a short chapter, whatever it may be, find what works for you.
- End on a good note: prayer. Finish everyday with prayer, not Instagram. Not sure where to start? Simply thank God for something from your day, ask for wisdom and listen to what He’s teaching you in this season.
I'll leave you with a simple, yet incredibly powerful step. Know anyone who wrestles with anxiety or is feeling overwhelmed by their current circumstances? (The answer is yes.)
- Shoot them a text, meet up for coffee, hit the gym, etc. You might say, "I don't have money or deep wisdom," but you do have time and compassion.
“Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.” [Proverbs 12:25]
Finding comfort in the chaos is simple, but it’s not easy. Be patient, be persistent and lean into our ever-present comfort: Christ.
- Jared Iler // Creative Director at Humbled Daily, Wyoming native and lover of any workout that includes squats and muscle-ups!